Wednesday 15 August 2007

Day Two

Hurrah! Two days down.

I'm sitting here watching Diet Doctors. I watched two episodes of You Are What You Eat earlier. The funny thing is that I can only watch these programmes when I am on a diet. Whenever I am eating in my usual carefree* way I can't watch them - it is a simple case of denial. I hated the fact that I was slowly poisoning myself with apparently delicious food and then lectured about it. So I always turned over or switched off and went out for all you can eat chinese!

Not now though! New leaf and all that. I love raspberries. Love them. So I had the raspberry one for breakfast. It wasn't too bad but really did not taste of fruit. They all seem to taste of pretty much the same thing. I'm guessing my taste buds will change after a couple of weeks though. For lunch I had the caramel one. Now, this I liked. When I was in my late teens I had a mild obsession with Butterscotch Angel Delight (and I wonder where the belly came from!). Well, the caramel one tastes very much the same as that. I think the main problem is that I just do not have a sweet tooth - never had one. I have always been one to pass up on desserts and can leave chocolate and sweets festering for weeks in the fridge. So sweet shakes are not really for me.

I went to the cinema for the afternoon. I should probably explain that I am a teacher so I am on my school holidays at the moment - hence the time to write blogs and watch so much day time TV. I went to the cinema and watched Hairspray. The Big is Beautiful message was probably not the one I needed to hear. I also forgot that I hate musicals before I went. So, not the most succesful day. But it kept me away from food. I also got through a litre of water whilst I was there. Hurrah.

I could easily pass on the sweets and popcorn at the cinema but as I was leaving I really wanted to go across the road to the McDonalds for a double cheese burger. I went home and made some 'crisps' with a vegetable food pack instead. They were nasty. Really nasty. I also read on a forum that if you cook a pack it kills off the vitamins - has anyone else heard this?

So I have one more foodpack to 'eat' today, and another litre of water to drink before I go to bed. I have had a mild headache all day today - not really bad - just a bit annoying. Two days down. I'm sure that as soon as I see the weight loss it'll be worth it.

Finally I'd just like to say a quick thank you to all those who have been leaving comments - it really does help.


* Not any more!!!

7 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi there - well done for distracting yourself even if the film was pants...

Chicken muffin is a bit like chicken stuffing. A bit weird but I like it better than chicken soup. Make up the pack as a stiff paste with a few teaspoons of water. I put it into a smallish bowl (I use a chinese food bowl) or a tea cup rather than a cereal bowl which makes the muffin too thin and biscuity.

Then microwave the mixture for 2 minutes. Actually you'll need to experiment with the times as microwaves vary wildly in strength. I did 2 mins in my sister in law's machine and burned it to a crisp. I would recommend that you do a minute then check and then another 30 seconds etc until you work out what works for you.

It should be dry and sort of cake-y and tastes very savoury, like Paxo stuffing (sort of!).

I also do the same with Thai Chilli (v. nice),chocolate, banana or caramel packs but add a bit of water flavouring to the choc pack for added sweetness as I find the choc pack isn't sweet enough in that form.

I find the veg soup is a bit bland unless you add plenty of salt and pepper and maybe a bit of chilli/tabasco if you like that sort of thing. I can't be bothered usually as there's plenty of flavours I like without faffing around too much. Your tastes do change though over the months so, every now and then, try something new to see if you like it after all.

Re the vitamin thing, LL recommend that you don't cook more than one pack per day due to the mineral loss but I do sometimes. You can't be too Nazi about these things - whatever helps you get through the days...

Hope that helps and keep up the good work!

Lesley x

Mrs said...

Just popping in to say hello!

Thanks for introducing yourself on my blog!

I'll catch up with your first few days at the weekend but I just want to wish you GOOD LUCK!!! Well done for taking the LL plunge!

Keep blogging; it makes all the difference!

Enjoy the ride and catch up soon.

Take care.

Mrs Lxxxxx

Sandra said...

The recipes for the packs are a sticky on the LL thread on minimins.

Personally I don't bother with any of the recipes except lemon biscuits made from a lemon bar. The other recipes I have personally found revolting or too difficult to master... BUT some people swear by them.

I will try ice cream one of these days though...

Amanda said...

Hi,

I also find myself watching loads of cooking & diet programmes plus reading lots of recipes. Also, when I'm out for a meal I alway have to look at the menu to see what I would have had (it's a much healther option now to what I would have chosen pre LL) even though I have my own food with me.

The crisps I make out of all the flavours but Thai Chili ones are my fav.

Anyway, instead of greaseproof paper I use the teflon non stick sheet, which I've cut in half (the stuff that absolutely nothing will stick to, you can get it in the supermarket, this is also good for cooking the biscuits) as some girls in our class said it gets completely stuck to the greeseproof.

I mix up the powder into a paste, don't make this too stiff as you need to be able to spread it thinly. I then spread it out on the teflon to the size of a small pappodom (I don't bother with making individual crisps - I just put half the mixture on one piece & the other half of the mixture on the other piece of teflon) and put it in the microwave for about 2 to 2 1/2 mins.

You have to watch the timings as it takes nearly 3 mins in my boyfriends microwave, but I have to do it for less in mine. Do keep an eye on it when cooking as it can burn quite easily.

When it starts to go brown I take it out and leave it to cool while the other half is cooking. It will be quite soft when you take it out, but it soon goes crispy.

When it's cooled I break it into pieces. If some bits are still a little soft, I just put them back into the microwave for about 10 - 20 seconds, still on the teflon.

I hope this works for you as I love the crisps and take them with me if we go to the pub for a meal.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Amanda x

Such A Pretty Face... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Such A Pretty Face... said...

ok - so I am still getting the hang of this leaving comments thing - hence why my previous comment was deleted.

Anyway,

Hi :-)

My mind has been going overtime regarding the friend situation but will post more on that later.


Your doing really well. The first week is always the hardest according to the experienced bods at minimins, personally I have found this whole experience really strange. It's made me think about stuff I never would have thought about.

I stay away from the Cookery shows as I find myself craving food that I previously would never have wanted to eat, like meat dishes - and I'm a life-long veggie!.

Our starting weights are very similar, so I look forward to reading more of your blog and your progress.

Take Care

Samaire. x

Sandra said...

Re: V - we are driving home on Saturday night as well. I live in Romford - so not far at all. So just have to smuggle the shakes in for the day... I know some people can go all day without anything but I have never mastered that.

The not drinking doesn't bother me much. Don't get me wrong - I love a wine or two when I have the chance - but I can have fun without. I'm always the driver anyway because my partner can't drive.

We saw Hairspray on Broadway in Feruary and loved it. Mind you, outside the theatre there was a blizard! And I LOVE musicals.

Sandra
www.livejournal.com/users/kiwirevo